02 June 2011

Quick-Roasted Cherry Tomato Sauce with Spaghetti

I started making this last year (actually a year ago exactly as it was published in the June 2010 Cooking Light Mag). It is so simple and delicious and really says spring. I made it for a couple we had over for dinner and they gobbled it up! I haven't made too many changes as it is a simple recipe as it stands, but I do throw in a little less crushed red pepper flakes as too much of that together with the acidic tomatoes makes my stomach unhappy. Also, to save money, I used dried herbs instead of fresh and it tastes just fine to me.




Ingredients: 
4 quarts water 
2 teaspoons kosher salt 
8 ounces uncooked spaghetti 
2 2/3 cups cherry tomatoes 
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided 
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar 
3/8 teaspoon kosher salt 
1/16 teaspoon crushed red pepper 
1 tablespoons dried basil 
1 tablespoons dried parsley 
1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled semisoft goat cheese





Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 450°.

2. Bring 4 quarts water to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Add 1 tablespoon salt and spaghetti to boiling water; cook 10 minutes or until spaghetti is al dente. Drain spaghetti in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/3 cup cooking water. Return spaghetti to pan; set aside, and keep warm.

3. While spaghetti cooks, combine tomatoes, 1 tablespoon olive oil, vinegar, 3/8 teaspoon salt, and pepper on a jelly-roll pan, tossing well to coat. Bake tomato mixture at 450° for 10 minutes or until tomatoes are soft and lightly charred in places.

4. Add tomatoes and any tomato juice to spaghetti in Dutch oven. Add 3 tablespoons reserved cooking water to jelly-roll pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits; carefully pour water mixture and remaining 1 tablespoon oil into spaghetti mixture. Place Dutch oven over medium heat. Add remaining reserved cooking water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until spaghetti mixture is moist, tossing frequently. Stir in basil and parsley. Sprinkle with cheese. And let it get all melty. Serve immediately.

26 comments:

  1. yummm this looks so good, i want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i totally underrated little cherry tomatoes for most of my life. now i have a husband who hates tomatoes of all types. what's a girl to do??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Married- That's some very bad luck! I was the same way for most my life. I'm still not in love with them eaten in the raw...but I love them cooked or baked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so im not a big fan of tomatoes...EXCEPT in this form in pasta! this looks delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've become obsessed with roasting cherry tomatoes, yummmmmmm
    You are right, perfect summer dish :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always, this looks delicious, Hannah! This would be an awesome "date night meal" with a glass of wine & some crusty bread .... yummm. Okay, putting that on the weekend menu NOW :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh I just baked some now! They are so delicious and convenient! Thanks for the recipe!

    xoxo,
    Chic 'n Cheap Living

    ReplyDelete
  8. that looks fantastic! anything with tomatoes in it, i am game

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are dee-licious! I've made the roasted tomatoes a few times, once with roasted chicken and they both cam out with so much flavor.
    You've inspired me to get creative again! LoL
    TravelDesignery.com
    .

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks delicious, and very spring-y. Maybe I'll make it tomorrow night. My husband will appreciate a day off from cooking. :-) I'm the cleaner and he's the cook.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yummmm i love anything tomato based for the spring/summer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, please!!!!!! I could so use a bowl of this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks fantastic! And fancy, too. Yes, please!

    ReplyDelete
  14. the fresh cherry tomatoes look so delicious and a great way to spice up my usual pasta dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely brilliant recipe. I have a ton of cherry tomatoes and had no idea what to do with them. I am for sure trying out this recipe. Thanks so much for sharing! I am your newest follower.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow...this looks so good! And with goat cheese? Yes please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh this looks delicious!!! And I sometimes use dry herbs instead of fresh ones...cheaper and really sometimes even better. Surprised me a lot.

    Cooking light is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete