28 February 2011

The Garden | My Shot at Sustainability

Oregano

This past Christmas we came into a little extra money and decided to start a garden. The months previous led us to this decision as we were frustrated with the abundance of produce that had been bathed in chemicals, and the general lack of high quality whole foods that we could afford. Luckily for us, a tomato plant costs about $3, and organic fertilizer- just $10 for a huge bag. Win!

It should be noted that, in the past, each try at a garden failed. I did not inherit my mother's green thumb. I now believe that I had to grow into my "thumbs" because my garden is booming! Below are before and after shots. I'm so proud! I know it's weird, but they are all like my little babies. It's only been 2 months and they are growing so fast!


BEFORE


Cilantro, Rosemary and Oregano (Dec 2010)


Tomato Plant (Dec 2010)


Note that the peppers (with stakes) are still too short to see! (Dec 2010)



AFTER 


Mint, overflowing! (Feb 2011)


A little baby red pepper (Feb 2011)


Tomatoes, full of blossoms! (Feb 2011) 




How do you contribute to a sustainable future?





No comments:

Post a Comment