04 April 2011

White Texas Sheet Cake



I got this recipe from my step-mom, Cindy, who got it from a co-worker when she worked at Disney here in Orlando. Thank goodness for co-workers who bring in tasty treats. I know I would have very little in my dessert arsenal if it weren't for them. Anyways, this is one of the first recipes Cindy made for us and it is now a favorite in my house. John loves this cake. He couldn't deem it his favorite. But he did say that out of the "oh my gosh this is so bad for me" category of desserts, it wins.

I can't make any statements about the health or lackthereof in this cake. John and I like to say that because it contains pecans it should be eaten at least twice a day to maximize health potential. But we're the king and queen of rationalization...so...




White Texas Sheet Cake

Ingredients:
1 cup butter
1 cup water
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
2 eggs (beaten)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp salt
1 tsp bakiing powder

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt butter in water and bring to a boil. Stir together dry ingredients in a large bowl and add butter/water mixture, beat until smooth. Add sour cream and almond extract. Beat eggs and add to mixture. Pour batter into a greased 10x15 jelly roll pan and bake for 20 minutes.

Frosting Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup milk
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 cup chopped pecans

Frosting directions:
Bring butter and milk to a boil. Remove from heat and beat into sugar. Add almond extract. Mix until smooth and frost cake while still warm. Sprinkle top with nuts, if desired.

19 comments:

  1. "But he did say that out of the "oh my gosh this is so bad for me" category of desserts, it wins." ... Haha, I love it!

    This looks incredible :) Can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hannah, i can never get enough of your food photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you had me at texas

    ReplyDelete
  4. drooling over here, this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious ! My husband peeked over my shoulder, saw the photos and is now asking for one just like it ;)
    Your blog is absolutely lovely & I'm your newest follower !
    Bisous !

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is going to put a BIG dent in my diet plans which I 'just' made today! :P

    Click here to Win a Dress
    ♡ from © tanvii.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for your lovely comment! That cake looks amazing. And of course it's healthy! It has dairy and nuts.. :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks so good! What a great variation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey thanks you guys! I hope you get the chance to make it. Whenver you do, make sure you have a couple gallons of ice cold milk on ya!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cant read your blog when i am so hungry, it this looks so good i might have to make it today! but since i am the only one around i will eat it all myself!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Julie- Well, they say misery loves company. But I think people with delicious cakes love company more. Bake it and share it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. omg, that looks so good! i like how its spread out thin so you can get a bigger piece, and feel like you had a big piece. (does that even make sense?) :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. And I'm drooling!! My mother-in-law makes a chocolate sheet cake like this and it's heaven. Can't wait to try the vanilla version!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohmygoodness this looks amazing and I'll definitely be trying it out soon! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yowza.....I heart this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete