01 July 2011

Food Fuel: Wheat Berry and Bean Salad


You're going to thank me for this. Well, you'll be thanking Angela at Oh She Glows for it. I've been meaning to write her a nice long letter, in beautifully written prose, detailing my affections for this salad.

It's called the Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad. I made it this week because getting back on track was my goal. When I stray, I never stray too far. I have a natural passion for whole food, but sometimes a hot dog just looks good,  and chemicalized pre-packaged cake calls my name. Let's just say I started to give in a little to easily. This week I started most days out with a green monster smoothie, some vegan overnight oats and I ate this salad with my lunches. After five days I've noticed a boost in energy and mood...I get out of bed after the first snooze button is pushed!

This salad is great on its own for lunch. Maybe throw in a slice of bread for some carbs and a piece of fruit and you're ready to rock!


Back on Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad from Oh She Glows
Makes a large mixing bowl full

Salad Ingredients:
  • 1 cup dry wheat berries, cooked and drained
  • 2 cups chickpeas
  • 1 English cucumber, diced
  • 1 red pepper, diced
  • 1 large tomato, diced
  • 2 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup fresh parsley, diced with large stems removed
  • 4 green onions, diced
  • Kosher salt + pepper, to taste

Dressing Ingredients:
  • 2-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, to taste
  • 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp regular mustard 
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce 
  • 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice

Directions: In a medium bowl, soak the wheat berries overnight in cold water. The next day, drain the wheat berries and place in a medium sized pot, covered in 3 inches of water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 1 hour. Drain and cool.

In a large bowl, mix together the diced vegetables (cucumber, red pepper, tomato, minced garlic, parsley, green onions). Add in cooked and drained chick peas and stir.

In a small bowl whisk together the dressing ingredients (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, soy sauce, fresh lemon juice). Set aside.

When the wheat berries are ready, drain and rinse and then stir into the salad. Add the dressing just before serving and stir well. Now season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Garnish with additional parsley if desired.


What is your favorite meal or snack to help you get back on track?

18 comments:

  1. This sounds really good! I like finding healthy recipes that actually sound good. If I eat a good salad or just some fresh fruit I feel back on track!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great, I've never had wheat berry before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm very interesting!! Good to hear you're back on track. I'm never on track. But this morning I'm doing a little better than my sugary cereal by having greek yogurt, fruit, honey and granola! So that makes me feel good about myself. Also, I got up on the first snooze today too!! But, I had to. Like, I would be late if I don't. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like an amazing dish for summer.
    xo
    Alexa
    www.theshortandthesweetofit.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhh very yummy! Reminds me it lunch time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. delicious... i love making salads like this... fresh a full of nutrients!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i really think this sounds so good! i'm always looking for healthy recipes

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never tried wheat berry! I'm putting it on the list. What fabulous food photography in this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to get back on track. I was eating good, fruits and salad and then It was that time of the month and I lost it! I was even going for walks and bike riding...i def need to get back on track. This bean salad looks great! Hope you have a great holiday!

    PS theres a giveaway on my other blog...

    http://allwomenstalk.com/giveaway-handmade-earrings-from-asters-in-august/

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds really good. I have never heard of wheat berry before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never used wheat berry before but that salad looks delicious! Looks like it'd make a great healthy lunch. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love love wheat berry. but my favorite back-on-track food is steamed kale with olive oil and lemon :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. yum, this looks GREAT! I think I would sub in cilantro for the parsley. hmmm back on track food? probably anything i eat normally, esp. if I ate pizza one night! usually if I am tempted to eat a piece of candy at work, i look up the nutrition facts... 80 calories in that tiny fun-size twix! can't pronounce the ingredients? no thanks! :) thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete