|After the race all I could do was smile and say "wow!!"|
I did it! I ran a 5k and man does it feel fantastic! I can't thank you all enough for your encouragement on my last post and for your tweets the day of the race to pump me up for the challenge ahead. It really meant so much. Here's some details from the day:
- I woke up at 3:00am the morning of because I realized I hadn't put together a running mix for my iPod. I can't think of a better use for 3:00 in the morning. It so paid off when we left the chute for our 3.1 mile run.
- We woke up at 5:30. I bounced out of bed and into my gear, and John said "so you have no problem jumping out of bed at 5:30 on a Saturday to go running, but I can't get you out of bed for the life of me at 7:00 on a Wednesday. I don't understand you."
- We feasted on english muffins with peanut butter and split a banana on the way to the race.
- We hit major traffic on the way there and were 20 minutes late to the start line. Yup, 20 minutes! We started running with just a few other stragglers and then caught up with the walkers and stroller-pushers by the end of it.
- I ran 3.1 miles in 37 minutes, only stopping to walk for 3 of those minutes. That's about a 12 minute mile pace.
-Reaching that finish line was the most exhilarating thing I have ever done. I smiled wide, thumbs-uped the cameras and kept saying "yes!" every exhale till my toes crossed the finish line. :)
I am absolutely hooked people. Like, I need to run another race right now. Unfortunately I'll have to wait until February. We're signing up for another 5k in Melbourne and we're running it with my mom and step-dad! It's going to be a great time and another great reason to keep training and try and improve my time.
Thanks again for all the encouragement. It made my day! And your breakfasts tips totally helped, the english muffin and pb really did the trick. I didn't feel sick at all!