09 November 2011

I Wish That I Knew What I Know Now

Last night, on my drive home I was doing some big thinking. I started to recall all the moments in my childhood, teenage years, and young adulthood where things when horribly wrong. I wanted to see how these mishaps made me a better person. Surely I didn't go through them without learning something valuable! By the time I got home I had a list of ten things that I've learned so far in life, either through the Lord softening my heart over time, or through trial and error, and oh how I wish I could return and tell the younger me each one of them!

First some pictures of a younger me...

15 years old. Freshman in high school. Complete idiot.

17 years old. Starting to learn more about the world.

19 years old. Self-obsessed. Turning point in becoming the me I am now...


24 years old finally figuring out how to walk through each day without making a mess of it.

10 Things I Wish I Knew Then
 
1. Proving your point to someone isn't worth ruining a friendship. If your argument will build a wall instead of a bridge, shut up and rethink how you want to explain yourself.

2. You never know what people are going through behind closed doors, so don't judge them too harshly.

3. Don't judge at all.

4. Be the first to say sorry. It will save you a world of trouble and is the key ingredient to a happy marriage. Along with the next point...

5. Forgiveness is a choice. We rarely feel it, but we have to decide to extend it to others, sometimes over and over and over and over and over again every single day until it does feel right.

6. Life is too short to hold on to friends that suck the life out of you.

7. Sex has little to do with the physical and everything to do with the spiritual.

8. We spend too much time getting angry over the things that don't matter and too little time being filled with a righteous anger for the things that really do matter- all the injustice in the world.

9. Confession wins 100% of the time. If you have wronged someone and they don't know it, or if you lied to someone point blank and just can't let go of the guilt, a humble confession and honest pleading for forgiveness will get you 1,000,000 times further in life and with people than living the lie.

10. Falling in love with the risk of heartache is better than the heartache of not doing so.

And one more for good measure:

11. When all else fails, ask your parents, they are right about almost everything...


Question of the Day:
What life lessons have you learned as you've gotten older?

No comments:

Post a Comment