06 July 2011

Peruvian-Style Roasted Chicken


I've never been to Peru, nor have I ever been to a Peruvian restaurant, so I have no way to be sure that this recipe does Peruvian food any amount of justice. But, with each bite, I imagined it was Peruvian, and it tasted so good I just about booked a ticket there so I could continue to enjoy it. I got this recipe from the Whole Foods site and loved it. It's really easy and quick, but it tastes like it roasted all day. I only changed a few things, just out of necessity to work with what I had on hand. Enjoy!

Peruvian-Style Roasted Chicken

1 1/2 teaspoons oil, plus more for oiling the pan
1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 1/2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
2 large sweet vidalia onions, peeled and thickly sliced
4 chicken thighs and 6 drumsticks (or 1 chicken cut into 10 pieces)
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
1 yellow or orange bell pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
1 lemon, sliced
 
Preheat oven to 425°F. Oil a large roasting pan and set aside. In a small bowl, combine paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic, vinegar and oil to make a paste. Place onions in a large bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of the paste. Rub chicken pieces with remaining paste and place in prepared pan, then cover with onions, peppers and lemon. Roast, basting occasionally with pan juices, until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are very tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest 5 minutes before serving. 


Have you ever been to Peru? What kind of foods did you eat there?


 

22 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Never been to Peru. The spices in there look like they may not agree with the hubby's stomach though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been to Peru but I dream of going to Macchu Picchu someday.

    I did have Peruvian food a couple of times and I love love their ceviche!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great. My husband would eat this up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've once been to a Peruvian restaurant...never to Peru though ;-) That chicken looks really good and I can really imagine making that for a cosy evening with friends - yum! Hope your week is good xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had anything Peruvian before! This looks and sounds so tasty. Trying it tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came to your blog expecting fashion... and instead I now found myself starving!

    I'm going to get cooking now- thanks for a different type of inspiration!

    PvdH

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Hannah,

    Please come cook at my house. That is all.

    Love,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM!! this looks great and sounds easy too....

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks absolutely amazing! Haven't been to Peru but food like this makes me want to!

    ReplyDelete
  10. never been to peru but i really want to. this recipe looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i've never been to peru, but i'm pretty sure this chicken would make me want to book a ticket there right away too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks beyond yummy. Never been to Peru either, but their food sure looks good :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never been to Peru, but my husband and I used to visit a local Peruvian restaurant all the time. He about cried when it closed down recently. Everything there was fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. sounds wonderful and so easy to make! perfect for india because we have such limited ingredients here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks delicious, Hannah :) I've got all the ingredients all ready, so I think I'll put it on the list for Sunday Dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a gorgeous place! Hubby saw the pics over my shoulder, and asked where it was. When I mentioned something with Malaga, he mentioned that is where Picasso was born.

    Lovely pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hannah this was great, thanks for sharing! We just had it for Sunday lunch, was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Seems you are a perfect cooker!!
    I've to taste on of them!

    ReplyDelete