21 December 2011

Kalicious Smoothie



First off, I'm sorry I've been off the grid lately. It's a combination of laziness and running around like mad these past few weeks. When I look at my schedule I'm not that busy, but I am. It's just not logical.

Second, I have good news to report! As of last night, Grandma Ruth was taken off the ventilator and is breathing on her own and very very unhappy to have to sit in a hospital bed. My father-in-law reports that she's literally kicking to get out of bed, but still has a lot of resting to do. Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers yesterday. So many people here and on Facebook were diligently lifting her up and the Lord has heard our prayer as she was not expected to survive while off the ventilator there for a while.




Now onward, to a delicious smoothie recipe! You may remember the Kalicious smoothie we got when we went to Whole Foods a few weekends ago. Well, I search high and low online and couldn't find it on their site, so I made up a recipe of my own based on what we had, and voila!  I'm here so share it with you today.  But first some promises...

1) It's delicious and detoxifying. I'm not going to elaborate on how I know the latter. But I know it. Period.

2) You won't taste the spinach and kale, scouts honor.

3) You will never age as long as you drink this smoothie.

(Ok, that last one was a stretch...)



As it is, the smoothie is really great for you. Kale and spinach are both leafy greens high in vitamin K, A, and C. Along with other goodies like protien, calcium, iron, and B6.

To add a little boost to my smoothies, I also add GSE and chia seed. I put GSE in every smoothie I make. On it's own, it's one of the most disgusting tastes you have ever tasted. It's only saving grace is that the taste doesn't linger in your mouth once you swallow. But in a smoothie you can't taste it at all. GSE is Grapefruit Seed Extract and it is a nutribiotic. Basically it's properties naturally fight against bad bacteria and viruses in your gut that could cause you to get sick.

Chia is a seed high in omegas with moderate amounts of protien. A good additive if you are vegetarian or vegan to help get those omegas in your diet.



The Kalicious Smoothie
serves 2

1.5 cups apple juice
1 lemon, juiced
2 bananas
1 cup spinach
1 cup kale (middle vein removed, it's bitter...)
5-6 ice cubes

Optional:
30 drops GSE
1/2 tsp chia (up your liquid by 1/4 cup if you add chia...it absorbs TONS of water).

Place everything in a blender, and blend on high until smooth and frothy! Enjoy!


Question of the Day:
What's your favorite smoothie recipe?





No comments:

Post a Comment