18 November 2010

Dutch Baby Pancake



       Ah, the Dutch Baby. Or as John and I call it, "the Dutch Babe." While searching for a quality recipe I unknowingly typed "Dutch Babe" and to my surprise Google provided me with many a near-nude blonde and not a single pancake. This is a great breakfast for a lazy Saturday morning. It is easy to make, impressive to look at, and delicious!  I found this recipe from William-Sonoma. The topping was created by yours truly and can be found here.


Bob's Dutch Baby

  • 2 1/2 ounces (5 tablespoons) butter
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • A little powdered sugar

Preheat the oven to 450 and adjust a rack to the upper 3rd of the oven. 

Melt the butter
Put the butter in a very large (12-inch) skillet with an ovenproof handle. Set in the oven for 5 minutes to melt the butter completely (okay if it begins to brown).

Make the batter 
While the butter melts, measure the flour into a large bowl. Add the eggs, milk and salt. Beat until smooth, using a whisk, large spoon or handheld electric mixer.

Bake and serve
Pour the batter into the hot pan. Return the pan to the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the sides are puffed up and dark golden brown. Remove from the oven. Loosen the Dutch baby from the sides and bottom of the skillet, then slide it onto a serving plate. Serves 4 to 5.




1 comment:

  1. THIS IS AMAZING!! Have you ever had those tiny fat pancakes that look like space ships? Man I love pancakes...

    Thank you for my comment I love that you stopped by :) My bf really likes your blog background too :D

    ReplyDelete